Open Position –ResearchFellow inSustainable Food Productionatthe inter-unit entity “ERA Chair for Food (By-) Products Valorisation Technologies of the Estonian University of Life Sciences”(VALORTECH), whichwas formed in collaboration of two EMÜ ́s institutes, Institute of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences and Institute of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
Commencement date: 01.06.2019up to 30.06.202
Duties and responsibilities
- Research fellow is a research staff member who participates in completing a research topic or a research project;
- publish scientific work and its results in high refereed journals;
- is qualified to perform teaching, deliver lectures in his or her specialism and supervise students in accordance with his or her academic degree;
- communication with relevant industry;
- promotes his or her field of science;
- develops his knowledge and skills necessary for research work,participates in research conferences and seminars and in research-organisational activities;
- will work closely with senior staff members of VALORTECH project;
- The immediate organiser of the work of the research fellow is the head of the subunit.
*Further particulars will be included in the job description.
PhDdegree in Food Science in Food Engineering or in Food Technology, or equivalent. Has to fulfil the criteria of the level R2(Recognised Researcher)of the European Framework for Researcher Careers profilesand Research Fellowqualification requirementsat the Estonian University of Life Sciences.
- prior experience in research work and previous teaching experience, including the experience in supervising students in an institute of higher education is recommended;
- have experience/knowledge in sustainable food processing;
- experience in livestock feed and/or horticulturebased research is added advantage
- knowledge on valorisation ofby-products and bio-wastes will be added advantage;
- is self-motivated and possess necessary data interpretation and relevant technical decision making skills
- in professional reviews the effectiveness of the work of a research fellow in the past five years is assessed, including his/her on-going research activities: internationally recognised research during the past five years in the volume equivalent to that of at least two-thirds of a PhD thesis;
- understands the agenda of industry and other related employment sector and can communicate with the wider community, and with society generally, about the areas of expertise;
- relevant experience in sustainable food production will be an added advantage;
- ability to collaborate effectively as part of a team and should hold good interpersonal and communication skills;
- the successful candidate will commit him/herself with the inter-unit entityVALORTECH for the entire duration of the grant period
- guaranteed salary 1,800EUR per month, (this amount is subject to employee taxes andshall be supplemented by healthcare and social services required by law);
- funds for supporting the training and mobility of the team members;
- access to research facilitieslocating in Tartu and Viljandi county;
- support for making arrangements and settling in Estonia.Required language skillsEnglish Estonian (local language) will be an added advantageWorkload1.00 (full-time)
Additional contact info:
Rajeev Bhat, Rajeev.Bhat@emu.ee; ERA Chair for Food (By-) Products Valorisation Technologies of the Estonian University of Life Sciences (VALORTECH)
Ivi Jõudu, firstname.lastname@example.orgInstitute of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences, associated professor, interim chair, VALORTCH project coordinator
Piia Pääso, email@example.comDirector of Polli Horticultural Research Centre
To participate in the competition, candidates are required to submit the following documents to the Academic Secretary(Fr. R. Kreutzwaldi 1, 51006 TARTU, ESTONIA)
- an application to the Rector in free format;
- a copy of the document certifying PhD degree or equivalent;
- CV (Curriculum Vitae) incl.olist of scientific publications of the last 10 years, indexed in Thomson Reuters Web of Science or Scopus;
- information on academic and food industry works undertaken since lastfive recent years;
- candidates should provide referees name of two individuals who can be called upon to provide information regarding the candidate’s work;
- other relevant materials at the discretion of the applicant.
Application documents shall be submitted in English in the written form, either on paper or as a digitally signed document by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org later than April 1st,2019.
Following the submission of documents, the eligible candidates might beinvited for an interview with the VALORTECH Steering Committee on site or via Skype.
“Rules of competitions for the employment of regular teaching staff and research staff” (Council Regulation No. 2 of 28.02.2008)
“Job descriptions of the teaching and research staff members at the Estonian University of Life Sciences” (Council Regulation No. 1-5/17of 27.11.2014)
European Framework for Researcher Careers profilesProject VALORTECH has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 810630.