Open Position –Senior Research Fellow in Food Science at the inter-unit entity “ERA Chair for Food (By-) Products Valorisation Technologies of the Estonian University of Life Sciences”(VALORTECH), which was formed in collaboration of two EMÜ ́s institutes, Institute of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences and Institute of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.
Commencement date: 01.06.2019up to 30.06.2023
Duties and responsibilities
As a key member of the team, the selected candidate:
- senior research fellow is a recognised scholar in his or her field, who leads a research topic or a research project, or is responsible for the completion of substantial sections thereof;odesigning and execution of innovative experiments;opossess hands-on experienceand provide expertise in development of innovativefood products and food formulations (covering nutrition, safety and sensory quality evaluation); all in compliance with food law and regulations;
- is qualified to perform teaching, deliver lectures in his or her specialism,supervise students in all tiers of higher educationanddevelop courses;
- the effectiveness of the work of senior research fellows is demonstrated by their ability to secure research funding (funding and research grants, contracts in the field of research and development, etc.);
- actively develops relationships with other universities, research institutions and companies, and participates in consultation and development work;
- promotes his or her field of research;
- develops the knowledge and skills necessary for research work,participates in research conferences and seminars and does research-organisational work;
- organize seminars, workshops and public lectures;
- the immediate organiser of the work of the senior research fellow is the head of the subunit.*Further particulars will be included in the job description
A PhDdegree in Food Science or Food Technology or equivalent. Has to fulfil the criteria of the level R3 (Established Researcher)of the European Framework for Researcher Careers profilesand Senior Research Fellowqualification requirementsat the Estonian University of Life Sciences.
- The candidate to the position of senior research fellow is a recognised specialist in his or her field with research experience:oknowledge on emerging technologies;oextensive experience in the field of food nutrition, food safety, innovativeproduct development and sensory evaluation, and knowledge on nutraceuticals based research;experience in teaching at an institute of higher education, including experience in supervising graduate and postgraduate students is recommended;
- internationally recognised research in his or her specialism or its related field in the volume equivalent to that of at least two PhD theses is a prerequisite for the participation in the competition;
- in professional reviews the effectiveness of the work of a senior research fellow in the past five years is assessed, including his/her on-going research activities: internationally recognised research during the past five years in the volume equivalent to that of at least one and a half PhD theses;
- food industry experience will be an added advantage;
- conducts research independently which advances a research agenda, identifies appropriateresearch methodologies and approaches;
- ability to collaborate effectively as part of a teamand should hold goodinterpersonal and communication skills;
- the successful candidate will commit him/herself with the inter-unit entity VALORTECHfor the entireduration of the grant period.
- guaranteed salary 3,000 EUR per month, (this amount is subject to employee taxes and shall be supplemented by healthcare and social services required by law);
- team members have opportunities for fundingin order to supportthe training and mobility;
- access to research facilitieslocating in Tartu and Viljandi county;
- support for makingarrangements and settling inEstonia; Required language skillsSuperior English Estonian(local language)will be an added advantage
Additional contact info:
Rajeev Bhat, Rajeev.Bhat@emu.ee; ERA Chair for Food (By-) Products Valorisation Technologies of the Estonian University of Life Sciences (VALORTECH)
Ivi Jõudu, firstname.lastname@example.org Institute of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences, associated professor, interim chair, VALORTCH project coordinator
Piia Pääso, email@example.com Director of Polli Horticultural Research Centre
To participate in the competition, candidates are required to submit the following documents to the Academic Secretary(Fr. R. Kreutzwaldi 1, 51006TARTU, ESTONIA)
- an application to the Rector in free format;
- a copy of the document certifying PhD degree or equivalent;
- CV (Curriculum Vitae) incl.olist of scientific publications of the last 10 years, indexed in Thomson Reuters Web of Science or Scopus;oinformation on academic and food industry works undertaken since lastfive recent years;
- candidates should provide referees name of two individuals who can be called upon to provide information regarding the candidate’s work;
- other relevant materials at the discretion of the applicant.
Application documents shall be submitted in English in the written form, either on paper or as a digitally signed document by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org later than April 1st, 2019.
Following the submission of documents, the eligible might beinvited for an interview with the VALORTECH Steering Committee on site or via Skype.Useful links:“Rules of competitions for the employment of regular teaching staff and research staff” (Council Regulation No. 2 of 28.02.2008)“
Job descriptions of the teaching and research staff members at the Estonian University of Life Sciences” (Council Regulation No. 1-5/17of 27.11.2014)
European Framework for Researcher Careers profiles