The Department of Chemistry at the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU) seeks to appoint a Full Professor of Organic Chemistry. The position is offered in accordance with § 98 of the 2002 Universities Act in the form of an ongoing contract.
The University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, the Alma Mater Viridis, is a teaching and research center for renewable resources, which are essential for human life. It is BOKU's task to make a key contribution to the conservation and protection of resources for future generations through its wide variety of expertise. Combining natural sciences, engineering and economic sciences, its aim is to increase knowledge of the ecologically and economically sustainable use of natural resources. With more than 12,000 students and over 2,500 staff, BOKU is one of Europe's leading universities in the field of life sciences.
The successful candidate should be a renowned chemist with relevant experience in research and teaching in the field of bioorganic chemistry and/or chemical biology. His/her focus on glycochemistry will not only complement the existing specialities in the department, but will represent a further development of associated synthetic and structural biological research questions.
The research of the successful candidate should encompass the chemical synthesis of complex biomolecules such as glycoconjugates, oligosaccharides, glycopeptides, glycolipids, nucleotideactivated sugars, enzyme substrates and inhibitors as well as their structural and functional characterisation.
National and international co-operations and the leadership in the relevant field are important prerequisites.
Furthermore, the successful candidate will have experience in the planning and execution of refereed research projects, the acquisition of third-party funds and collaboration with research institutions also outside the university sector. An important aspect is also personnel development, especially in the fostering of junior scientists.
It is also desired that the holder of the chair will, in combination with departments of BOKU, whether within the Vienna Institute of BioTechnology (Biotechnology, Applied Genetics and Cell Biology, Nanobiotechnology, Food Science & Technology and of Material Sciences and Process Engineering) or outside it, be involved in current research areas and be prepared to co-operate with partner organisations, thereby strengthening the important areas of competence in „Biotechnology“, „Food, Diet & Health“ and „Renewable Resources & Resource-oriented Technologies“.
The teaching duties are primarily within the BSc curriculum on Food & Biotechnology, especially the lectures and practical courses in Organic Chemistry. The involvement in optional courses in bioorganic chemistry for MSc and PhD curricula is expected.
The successful candidate will have access to an excellent infrastructure at the department, but will be expected to continue and strengthen the current competence in NMR spectroscopy.
- Authorization to teach acquired at an Austrian university (venia docendi) or foreign equivalent or an equivalent subject-relevant academic qualification
- Research experience and publication activities on an internationally competitive level.
- Relevant experience and competence in teaching, guidance in scientific work, as well as the supervision of young scientists (PhD students and postdocs).
- Teaching in German and English.
- Subject-specific research experience of national and international reputation, as well as the ability to network.
- Experience in the successful acquisition, execution and management of research projects.
- Management and interpersonal skills, communication and team skills and a willingness to participate in public relations.
- Ability to cooperate in teaching and research and ability to interdisciplinary dialog with natural and technical sciences.
- Willingness to participate in relevant focus and cooperation programs of the University.
- Willingness to participate in structured PhD programs.
- Willingness to participate in the self-governance of the department and of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna
For more information about this position, please contact the Head of Department of Chemistry, Univ.Prof. DI Dr. Erika Staudacher, telephone: +43 1 47654 77263, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please send your application by email to email@example.com as well as one hard copy no later than 31st August 2018 (date on postage stamp) to the Rectorate of the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU), Gregor-Mendel-Straße 33, A-1180 Vienna.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- CV including details of professional, teaching and research activities (incl. presentation of a teaching portfolio – further information is available in German at http://www.boku.ac.at/fileadmin/data/H05000/H17100/Qualifizierungsvereinbarung/Lehrportfolio__Leitfa...)
- List of publications (referenced / not referenced), presentations and projects
- Copies of 5 recent publications that you consider particularly important
- Draft concept for research and teaching; presentation of planned research priorities
- Brief explanation of why you believe yourself to be particularly suitable for this position (max. 1 page A4)
By submitting the application, you also agree to the participation of an external recruitment consultant in the selection process.
The University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna is seeking to increase the number of its female faculty members and therefore, qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply. Women are given priority when qualifications are equal, except in cases where there are outweighing factors concerning another candidate.
The employment contract is classified as group A1 of the collective agreement for university employees. Minimum gross yearly salary: € 70.071,40; the actual annual gross salary is subject to negotiation.
More information on this position and about BOKU and this department can be found on the website: http://www.chemie.boku.ac.at