The Department of Food Science, Faculty of Science, University of Copenhagen invites applications for a Tenure-track assistant Professor in the area of “Food Protein Chemistry” from 1 November 2018 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Our foods are being increasingly processed today to obtain longer shelf life for increased export, to reduce food waste, and to feed a world with growing population. Thermal processing of foods (pasteurization, dehydration) is widely used to postpone microbiological decay and prolong shelf life, but creates a range of chemical and physical modifications on proteins, and potential concomitant effects on nutritional value and human health. Proteins are key nutrients and it is critically important that the proteins in our diet are of high nutritional quality and are not damaged during processing and storage.
Department of Food Science therefore wish to appoint a tenure-track assistant professor within this area to further characterize protein modifications occurring during processing and storage (oxidation, Maillard reactions), their interactions with polyphenols as functional food ingredients, and to develop new and more gentle processing technologies to prevent unwanted protein modifications.
Applicants for the position should ideally hold a degree in chemistry, biochemistry or food science, and must have strong skills in analytical chemistry.
The tenure track assistant professor’s duties will primarily include research, including obligations with regard to publication/scientific communication and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations within Food Protein Chemistry. To a limited extent the position may also include other duties.
The tenure track assistant professor must have an academic standing showing internationally competitive research, and/or have internationally recognized high potential to make a future impact.
Assessment of applicants will primarily consider their level of documented, internationally competitive research. The ability to attract external funding will be considered together with outreach qualifications. Teaching qualifications are not mandatory but documented teaching qualifications and teaching experience will be considered.
Further information on the Department is linked at http://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/. Inquiries about the position can be made to Head of Department Anna Haldrup, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or tel. +4535328266
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 419.771 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 71.780).
Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The tenure-track programme
An assigned mentor will provide the tenure-track assistant professors with guidance related to career development, other academic topics and administrative procedures.
Performance of the tenure-track assistant professor will be followed via internal yearly evaluations and a mid-term and final international evaluation by an assessment committee. If the ‘final appraisal’ is positive you will be promoted as associate professor. Performance and progression towards the criteria below will be evaluated with due consideration of differences between research fields.
Criteria for promotion
After a 6-year tenure-track period tenure-track assistant professors are expected to meet the following criteria:
- A strong publication track record within the specific field of research, including a significant number of corresponding authorships and at least some publications in high-ranked journals based on work carried out during the tenure-track period
- Strong external network of collaboration, including joint publications
- A significant track record of successful external research funding
- Establishment of a strong and internationally competitive research group demonstrating clear independence of former supervisors/mentors, or/and major contributions to the development of an existing research group demonstrating an ability to collaborate within the research group
- Completed http://www.ind.ku.dk/english/course_overview/up/ and established a teaching portfolio via participation in teaching, including preparation and development of departmental courses
- Successful supervision/co-supervision of MSc and PhD students
The application including all attachments must be in English and submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
Curriculum vitae including:
- Please describe and document international network and relations
- Please describe and document internationally based activities
- Positions held at universities/research institutions outside Denmark
- Outreach activities, i.e. popular lectures or other activities in the media
- Grants held, personal or in part. Career development grants.
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan - description of current and future research plans
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document:
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list
- Separate reprints of up to 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for applications is 28 March 2018, 23:59 GMT +1.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Interviews/trial lectures will be held on 22 August 2018.
Please refer to the following no. in future communication in this case: 211-0558.