The Riddet Institute is a world-best research centre in food and nutritional sciences, providing fundamental scientific understanding and training for a new generation of science leaders. The Institute integrates partner organisations (Massey University (host), Auckland and Otago Universities, AgResearch and Plant & Food Research) and disciplines, leading a “NZ Inc” approach to food research, and generates knowledge and capability that transforms the New Zealand food industry.
We are seeking high-achieving researchers to undertake three postdoctoral research projects as part of the Riddet Institute CoRE programme. This specific project is broadly in Future foods and ingredients with novel functionality.
Main Supervisor: Professor Harjinder Singh, Riddet Institute, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand.
Other Supervisors: Professor Manohar Garg, Professor Paul Moughan, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand.
The Postdoctoral Fellow/Research Officer will form part of a multidisciplinary team investigating how food structures with predetermined digestive behaviours can be assembled into food systems that are able to deliver the required in-body functionality. The essence of this project is to synthesise existing knowledge on food structures and nutrient delivery and develop new structured food ingredients and products that could be used by the food industry.
The successful candidate will have completed a PhD in food science and technology, food engineering, product development or related disciplines with preference given to someone with expertise in formulations, industrial product development and food functionality.
Applicants without a PhD degree but with considerable industry experience in product development/innovation will also be considered.
The salary will depend on experience but will be in the range for Postdoctoral Fellows at Massey University, with appointment for a term
of two years.
Applicants please send your CV including a statement of your research interests and goals and at least two referees, plus your university transcripts when uploading your application to the following website: http://jobs.massey.ac.nz
Email enquiries regarding the position can be sent to W.McNabb@massey.ac.n
Project 2: Future foods and ingredients with novel functionality The Postdoctoral/Research Officer position is dedicated to the Riddet Institute CoRE research programme and specifically to a project on structuring foods to optimise nutritional functionality and health outcomes. The programme is funded by Riddet Institute CoRE research programme.
The roles and responsibilities of the Fellowship relate to the project objectives, and the Fellow will also be expected to contribute to the scholarly and collegial endeavours of the Riddet Institute.
Project 2 - Professor Harjinder Singh
Project 2: Future foods and ingredients with novel functionality The performance of the postdoctoral scientist will be assessed by the line manager in the following key result areas:
Research Strategy and Delivery
• Contributes and develops high quality research plans, outputs and
achievement of project milestones relevant to structuring foods for
optimal functionality and health within budget.
• Contributes to funding applications in the area of food structures
and properties that attract significant revenue and offer solutions to
existing and new customers.
• Contributes to work that provides solutions to complex/unique
problems and results in the generation of new knowledge, IP, patents,
policy and products.
• In collaboration with staff across the Riddet Institute, identifies
new opportunities for delivering food solutions that will grow the NZ
economy and which advance scientific knowledge and theory.
• Displays a collaborative work ethic, including a team approach that
draws on knowledge and capability from across the Centre of Research
Excellence to deliver best outcomes.
• Consistently delivers high quality, relevant research through publication in appropriate international journals.
• Provides mentoring and coaching to postgraduate students (where
relevant) to enhance the development of capabilities in food structures
and food functionality.
• Contributes to the advancement of scientific knowledge by presenting
at conferences, serving on journal review panels, chairing conference
• Maintains an active involvement in the wider food and nutrition
research communities which extends, protects and promotes personal and
Riddet Institute recognition both nationally and internationally.
Other Projects and Health and Safety
• Undertakes other reasonable duties as and when required
• Ensures legislative compliance, (e.g., Department of Labour, HSNO,
EPA Animal and Human Ethics) and appropriate data security.
• Complies with health and safety policies as set by Massey University
and legislature and at all times, makes safety of themselves and others
in the workplace the priority.
2: PhD in food science and technology, food engineering, product
development or related disciplines. Applicants with Masters or
Bachelor’s degree with considerable industry experience will also be
• Demonstrated experience in research related to food science and
technology, food engineering, product development or related areas with
preference given to someone with expertise in food formulations,
industrial product development and food functionality.
• A proven track record of publications in high-quality international journals.
• Knowledge of food science and technology, food engineering, product development would be advantageous.
• Experience in food formulations, industrial product development and food functionality would be advantageous.
• Uses “best” scientific methodology for all research, including
literature searching, hypothesis-based experimental design and
statistical analysis, and follows rigorous documentation procedures for
all research. Has a good understanding of intellectual property and
experience with “big data”.
Personal attributes and behaviours
• Takes responsibility for effective and timely completion of own work.
• Creative thinker, inquisitive, is able to visualize and describe innovative ideas and solutions.
• Is able to interpret, evaluate and analyse data, information and
processes to support outcomes and make feasible proposals or
• Works co-operatively with other team members to meet collective goals or performance milestones.
• Understands limits of own authority and knows when to consult or inform others.
• Works effectively with a wide range of people.
• Sets and models a culture that leverages differences and supports diversity.
• Communicates clearly and concisely.
• Proactively works to build and maintain internal and external
relationships and networks to share knowledge and achieve goals.
• Demonstrated ability to write technical reports and research papers.
• Behaves in a fair, honest, consistent and ethical manner
• Challenges unacceptable, unethical behaviour.
• Honours work commitments.
• Respects confidentiality.