Open Position –Research Fellow in Food Science and Technology at the inter-unit entity “ERA Chair for Food (By-) Products Valorisation Technologies of the Estonian University of Life Sciences”(VALORTECH), which was formed in collaboration of two EMÜ ́s institutes, Institute of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences and Institute of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences.
Commencement date: 01.06.2019up to 30.06.2023
Duties and responsibilities
- Research fellow is a research staff member who activelyparticipates in completing a research topic or a research project; ois involved in execution of planned experiments;owork in the area ofdevelopinginnovative food products, provide analytical experience in food quality evaluation (nutrition, safety and sensory quality evaluation); oWrite research papers in the area of specialization and publish in refereed journals;
- is qualified to perform teaching, deliver relevant lectures in his or her specialism and supervise students in accordance with his or her academic degree;
- communication with relevant industry;
- promotes his or her field of science;
- develops his knowledge and skills necessary for research work,participates in research conferences and seminars and in research-organisational activities;
- will work closely with senior staff members of VALORTECH project;
- The immediate organiser of the work of the research fellow is the head of the subunit.*Further particulars will be included in the job description.
Required qualifications: PhDdegree in Food Scienceor Food Technologyor equivalent. Has to fulfil the criteria of the level R2(Recognised Researcher)of the European Framework for Researcher Careers profilesand Research Fellowqualification requirementsat the Estonian University of Life Sciences
- prior experience in research work and previous teaching experience, including the experience in supervising students in an institute of higher education is recommended;
- extensiveknowledge and hands-on experience in the field of food nutrition, food safety, innovative product development and sensory evaluationis expected;
- have relevant experience in food science/technology area after obtaining the higher degree in academia;
- in professional reviews the effectiveness of the work of a research fellow in the past five years is assessed, including his/her on-going research activities: internationally recognised research during the past five years in the volume equivalent to that of at least two-thirds of a PhD thesis;
- understands the agenda of industry and other related employment sector and can communicate with the wider community, and with society generally, about the areas of expertise;
- food industry experience will be an added advantage;
- ability to collaborate effectively as part of a team and should hold good interpersonal and communication skills;
- the successful candidate will commit him/herself with the inter-unit entity VALORTECH for the entire duration of the grant period
- guaranteed salary 1,800EUR per month, (this amount is subject to employee taxes and shall be supplemented by healthcare and social services required by law);
- funds for supporting the training and mobility of the team members;
- access to research facilitieslocating in Tartu and Viljandi county;
- support for making arrangements and settling in Estonia. Required language skillsEnglish Estonian (local language) will be an added advantage
Additional contact info:
Rajeev Bhat, Rajeev.Bhat@emu.ee; ERA Chair for Food (By-) Products Valorisation Technologies of the Estonian University of Life Sciences (VALORTECH)
Ivi Jõudu, firstname.lastname@example.orgInstitute of Veterinary Medicine and Animal Sciences, associated professor, interim chair, VALORTCH project coordinator
Piia Pääso, email@example.com Director of Polli Horticultural Research Centre
To participate in the competition, candidates are required to submit the following documents to the Academic Secretary (Fr. R. Kreutzwaldi 1, 51006TARTU, ESTONIA)
- an application to the Rector in free format;
- a copy of the document certifying PhD degree or equivalent;
- CV (Curriculum Vitae) incl.olist of scientific publications of the last 10 years, indexed in Thomson Reuters Web of Science or Scopus;oinformation on academic and food industry works undertaken since lastfive recent years;ocandidates should provide referees name of two individuals who can be called upon to provide information regarding the candidate’s work;
- other relevant materials at the discretion of the applicant.
Application documents shall be submitted in English in the written form, either on paper or as a digitally signed document by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org later than April 1st,2019.
Following the submission of documents, the eligible candidates might beinvited for an interview with the VALORTECH Steering Committee on site or via Skype.
“Rules of competitions for the employment of regular teaching staff and research staff” (Council Regulation No. 2 of 28.02.2008)
“Job descriptions of the teaching and research staff members at the Estonian University of Life Sciences” (Council Regulation No. 1-5/17of 27.11.2014)
European Framework for Researcher Careers profilesProject VALORTECH has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 810630